Portland Area Fire Authority

Serving Portland and Danby Townships and the City of Portland, Michigan.

firechief@portlandfiremi.com          517-647-4111


Follow Us On:


Chief Baker has added a new SAFETY TIPS page, liked above.  Check back often for tips on keeping your family or business safe!

NEW!  Severe Weather Preparedness Tips!


Applications are now being taken for the position of Volunteer Firefighter.  Job requirements, application and Federal forms are available here.

Burn Permits are now issued annually.  Look here for instructions and forms
It is currently okay to burn within our jurisdiction WITH a permit
and in observance of the permit conditions.



Portland Area Fire Authority is an Intergovernmental partnership between Portland and Danby Townships and the City of Portland to provide professional fire suppression and rescue services to each of our jurisdictions.

These pages will contain information on services provided, and how to access information you may need to live, work and visit our area.




From Chief Krizov:

Carbon Monoxide alarms SAVE LIVES! 

Chief Krizov urges residents and businesses to get a Carbon Monoxide detector and install them promptly. Heating season is just beginning, you may have gas appliances that can cause a deadly buildup. You may purchase one for as low as $14.00. 

Portland Area Fire Authority supports Smart911, a service free to Ionia County residents, that enhances the ability of Ionia County Central Dispatch to give up-to-date, more complete information about you and your family or business to first responders, police, fire and ambulance services so they can give you faster, more complete, timely service.  Smart911 is safe, secure, and easy to use.  Sign up today!




Applications are now being accepted for the position of

You Must Have A Permit to Burn Outside!


Burn permits are required throughout the district for
outdoor burning at all times. Permit applications are available here, and are issued on an annual basis.  They are free of charge, but a valid permit must be obtained before any outdoor burning takes place in the City or Townships, including campfires or bonfires.  


Call the Department at 517-647-4111 between the hours of 9:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday if you have questions. Permit applications are also available at the Department at 773 E Grand River Ave., in Portland during business hours. 

Individual jurisdictions may have additional rules or